[Regia-NA] Raised helmets & conspiracy theories

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:52:00 -0600

Hi Nathan

Thanks for the info about the Lednikie helmet. I don't own Crusading Era, but
they have it in the library at school, I'll look it up tomorrow.

Regarding the Kiev helmet, the pictures I've seen look like a spangenhelm.
Furthermore, it's been recently dismissed (within the last year) as a WWII
German helmet liner for a tank gunner or fighter pilot. An American SCA member
owns an identical helm, and put out the call that he wanted to authenticate it.
Someone pointed him to a number of identical WWII items.

Pity; there are so few extant helmets from the era, the more the better. But
the Kiev helmet (and identical Strong helmet in the US) are 20th century.

Link here: http://www.missouri.edu/~rls555/SCA/research/helms/StrongKiev.htm

I'll look up that German helm tomorrow, thanks again!

~Wil