[Regia-NA] Re: Celt was Fashions

Cory Nielsen list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:26:26 -0700

Kathy writes:

> Umm Oswald.. you state that they (the Celts)are related linguistically.... i was under the impression that the Irish, the Welsh, the Manx and the  Scottish Celts all spoke their own version of Gaelic...  or are you speaking of  the early days of the Celt tribes..
> Did they not also originate in a small Austrian town, called ..oh  dang.. senior moment..  word means Salt...
> Kathy

Irish Gaelic, Manx, and Scottish Gaelic (though not Scots) are Gaelic
languages, sometimes called "Q-Celtic" or Goidelic.

Welsh (along with Breton and Cornish) is not a Gaelic tongue. It is in the
group sometimes called "P-Celtic" or Brythonic.

The Celtic languages that used to be spoken on the Continent (like Gaulish)
are another branch of Celtic altogether.

The large language family that includes all of the Celtic, Germanic, Slavic,
and Italic tongues (among others) is called Indo-European. According to most
of what I've read, the Indo-Europeans seem to have migrated into Europe from
Asia.

Cory