[Regia-NA] pottery

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:02:50 -0500

Eileen Young wrote:
 > Catriona The Yahoo list is for members and I live in the Phoenix, AZ
 > area. Eileen
 >
 > Kathy <kth62@yahoo.com> wrote:
 >

 >> Greetings Eileen.. which Yahoo Regia site are you referring to? did
 >> not know there was one.. And where do you hail from pray tell
 >> Catriona in BC
 >>
 >> Eileen Young <JuditheileenY@netscape.net> wrote: Greetings,
 >>
 >> Has anyone looked at this site:
 >> http://www.postex.demon.co.uk/thesis/thesis.htm
 >>
 >> Is this information ok, out of date, whatever? Does onyone know if
 >> the original thesis had pictures or line drawings with it and if it
 >> did how do I get a copy?
 >>
 >> Is anyone else still having trouble with the Yahoo Regia site? I
 >> don't get some emails, get the replys before I get the originals,
 >> get some email days later.
 >>
 >> thanks, Eileen (who is being awakened at what is for her, midnight,
 >> every morning by the workers who are putting up a block wall.)

Consider yourself very lucky. As a child with asthma and
pneumonia I was in the hospital and all day everyday that
week we had a bulldozer just outside tearing up the sidewalk
around the hospital by dropping the dozer blade on it and
then crumpling it up, after which he started on the asphalt
parking lot outside. I eventually outgrew the asthma, at
least as long as certain allergens don't show up in my
neighborhood.

Similarly my wife worked at the NCSU library for 35 years
and they spent two solid years driving poles into the ground
to support the new tower wing right outside her window.
This shook the whole building and brickyard.
Then they cut through the sewer and water lines there
doing additional excavations for the enlarge HVAC system
that is in the cavernous basements. It's an eleven floor
building.

When Fort Pulaski was built by Robert E. Lee on a tidal
marsh fifteen miles east of Savannah they sunk 17,000
tree trunks by hand to support the moated huge brick
fort. It took only two days of bombardment with the
new rifled cannons to reduce one wall to the point they
were about to launch a massive infantry attack.
They surrendered because the bombardment was about
to penetrate the trees and earth also covering the
brick covered powder magazines. One man was killed on
either side. Took from 1833 to 1847 to build.
Fixed fortifications were a pretty much excercise in
futility after that. Although Fort Wagner, built of
sand wasn't taken, Fort Fisher, built of sand was
after a combination sea bombardment and infantry assault.
http://www.nps.gov/fopu/
http://www.nps.gov/fopu/pulaskione/Templates/INDEX%20two.htm
http://www.nps.gov/fopu/pulaskione/Templates/Culturalresources.dwt

I used to spend my teenage years on the SC/N GA coasts.
Lots of entrenchments and actual forts there. Our version
of castles up until the robber barons built places like
the Biltmore House, America's largest castle, a bit over
twenty or more miles from my home. Looks like a huge
French Gothic Chateau on 20,000 acres in the NC mountains.
It costs $38 to get in now. I used to take dates there
back when.  http://www.biltmore.com/
http://www.biltmore.com/visit/image_gallery/slide_show.html

Renovation and enlargement can be fun.

Magnus