[Regia-NA] Ruggs (shaggy cloaks)

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:33:10 -0500

Jennifer/Ælfgifu wrote:

>Carolyn:  Would the darned pile work for 1000 AD A-S in Jorvik?

You betcha.  Two Coppergate examples, one from period 4B and the other from
"Anglo-Scandinavian levels."  Two Lloyd's Bank examples also, both
tenth-century.

There are two contemporary examples from the Isle of Man as well as a cap
fragment from Hedeby.

Those of you who have had a paid SCA membership in the East Kingdom for a
couple of years might be able to locate your copy of the most recent A&S
issue of _Pikestaff_ (circa mid-2001, I think).  In that issue is one of my
articles on the topic, "Fake Fur and Shag Rugs:  Pile Woven and Other
Shaggy Textiles in Northwest Europe in the Seventh to Twelfth
Centuries."  It talks about the darned pile method and describes how to
make oneself a perfectly period darned-pile cap.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html