[Regia-NA] bone working

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 30 May 2003 07:58:22 +0000

>From: "Ian Uzzell" <snorri@vikingasaga.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>I am afraid I cannot remember in which museum, but I have seen wooden
>combs.  Very similar to modern nit combs.  So they were used.  Because of
>the nature of wood in the ground very few of these would survive, but it is
>my belief that there would be wooden combs in use in our period.
>
>Ian

I have seen combs from the later middle ages made of wood.  IIRC there are
actually more of these than antler combs - perhaps meaning that fashions
have changed, or merely that (as Ian has said) antler will survive in the
archeological record for longer than wood. At dublin, while the wood
preservation is good, I don't remember any wooden combs, although antler
combs survived.  Nathan, can you check my memory on this please.

Comb maker's workshops were a common feature of Viking settlements, so it
may be that the same craftsmen used the same tools on different materials -
antler being perhaps a higher quality product.  However (he says, putting on
his official hat), ATM the evidence points towards antler being the most
common material used, so lets keep that as the most common one that we have.

BTW, I have (somewhere) a bone comb that was made from "artificial" bone,
apparently the stuff that surgeons use.  I take it out rarely, as it is
somewhat fragile - a good advert for using the right material (and no, I
didn't make it myself!)

Steve