[Regia-NA] Fritton Dateline

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 08:14:32 +0000

>From: Tate William>
>Serious question: so are hangerocs out of fashion by this time? [1066]

Damn good question.  The received wisdom is yes, as the oval brooches that
are used as indicators of them dry up in the archeological record.  They are
getting rarer at the start of Regia's period in Scandanavia, and were not
common in Britain.  (IIRC there were only 3 found in England, one in a male
grave.  More in Scotland and Ireland, of course.)

One problem with this is that the introduction of Christianity there is a
drop in finds due to grave deposition.  Thus it is impossible to say
definitly wether there was a change in style in womens clothing that came in
with new ideas for the continent.

So all told, I would say no - that for Norfolk in 1066 there would have been
no hangerocks present.  The question is one of context - what would a woman
from Scandanavia have been doing in Norfolk in 1066?  I know that the area
had strong ties to scandanavia, but I just don't think that such an
old-fashioned garment would be in use.

Why do you ask, Bill?  Are we going to see you in one ;-)

Steve

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger