[Regia-NA] [Fwd: *WH* Fw: [12thcenturygarb] Dye Colours (]

Hazel Uzzell list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 08:01:30 +0100

Hi all,
In my experience, weld picked in different parts of the U.K also gives
different shades, tones or whatever of yellow.
Some that was picked near Edinburgh gave a pretty insipid colour. Some
picked where the old hall used to be at West Stow also wasn't too good, but
weld picked from around my house (North West England) dyed under exactly the
same circumstances gave a very good yellow.
The soil round here is peaty although I always thought that weld did best on
alkaline soil. West Stow is sandy...can't say for Edinburgh.
Perhaps it is a combination of the local water and the area grown. Maybe
that would account for some of the odd results.
I, too, always mordant the yarn with alum before dyeing with weld.
Hazel (with contributions from Ian!)