[Regia-NA] dyeing on silk

Joy Cain list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:19:59 -0500

It depends on a lot of factors...tussah vs. bombyx, the amount of gum
remaining in the fiber and the kind of dye you are using. My experience
that a good quality bombyx noil will dye as bright as silk top. Tussah
silks are a bit different and it again depends on the kind of silk
(antherea, eri, muga). Some will dye beautifully, like the prepared
Chinese tussahs, and their color will affect the final color of the silk
(in the case of tussah, you are dyeing over a color as opposed to the
bright white of the bombyx). Treetops Color Harmonies are dyed over
tussahs.

You just have to test and see. Last year I used my left-over easter egg
dye to dye noil to be carded into other fibers for spinning and was
generally pleased with the results. I also dyed some Chinese tussah with
indigo and had a problem with crocking.

I recommend degumming all silk before dyeing, even prepared fiber,
especially if there is any fish scent to the fiber (this indicates
residual gum/sericin).

Joy