[Regia-NA] Norse Archery

jim list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:02:21 -0800

Hello,
My name is Jim, or Smišr Žoršarson when in garb.  I live in the
San Francisco Peninsula, and have been doing Norse re-creation
for over 5 years, mostly with Asatru groups, but have been involved
with the SCA since last year.

I've been getting into archery since the beginning of this year, and
have just started making my own bows (I have over 15 years experience
as a professional woodworker).

I'm interested in finding any documentation for Viking Age Norse bows.
The only reference I have seen is from a video tape a friend lent me.
The video's title was Archery, but I forgot the subtitle, and was produced
by an English company.  It showed lots of re-enactors from different eras
using and making period archery equipment.  It spent a few minutes
on Norse archery, including showing re-enactors (Regia members?) using
a round shield as a target for practice.
I jotted down the following info from the video:
The long bow form was used extensively in the Iron Age in Germany and
Scandinavia.  Very few Norse bows have survived, however 36 bows have
been found at the Newdam(sp?) ship burial.  At least one of these bows
featured a long iron spike mounted to the bottom limb, supposedly for
use in close combat.
The bows featured an elaborate string knot on the bottom limb, requiring
no bottom nock.  The top limb was fitted with side-nocks.  A copper peg
mounted on the front of the bow a few inches down from the nook was used
as a string keeper when the bow was unstrung.
Yew was the favorite wood used for bow making, but other woods, such as
elm were also used.

I've been trying to find any book that has information on the Newdam
finds, but have been unsuccessful.  Any suggestions of any books that
might be helpful would be appreciated.

Thak you
Smišr