[Regia-NA] "what's an Authenticity Officer look like"?

J. Kim Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:40:59 -0000

The smart answer would be to say "A lot about the period" but that is only
the obvious. What is more important is to overcome the desire to make the
uncommon the norm, to use out of Britain (AOB!) finds as first hand
provenance, to have a good knowledge of the current state of play in what is
likely and what is not from our archaeology finds base that trickles in from
our disparate working archaeologists.

Most importantly, what is reasonable. We could - with reasonable
justification - use swastikas as a decoration, but we don't. We could - as
has been explored here - readily use black paint, cloth and leather
. And these are the first things to spring to mind.

Black? Too many Goths and biker images still about for the public to take it
seriously.

What do you think Steve? Andy? Roland is off line at the moment, but will be
back in the loop soon.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Spring in the air?"