[Regia-NA] Shave Horses

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:49:46 -0500

Linda wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about shave horses in
>the AS/Viking period.

I'd like to know a great deal more about this too, because my husband has
been researching this tool for years without being able to put it into the
period.  (The earliest certain depiction of one is late 16th century, if I
remember correctly.)  A discussion of the sources would be *very*
useful.  He's been so frustrated by it that at this point he's researching
similar technologies such as tanners' scraping benches.

>Were the draw knives basically the
>same, or was there any significant difference in style/design?

There are draw knives in a number of configurations from Norway and Jorvik,
at the very least.  They seem a great deal like what ours would look like
if we buried them for 1000 years. ;>

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html