[Regia-NA] Modern blue recipe

Hazel Uzzell list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:19:36 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C2EB9D.2A0D4220

Hi all,
I have had a request for a modern woad recipe, which I send below!
Hazel

I have many dye method books, but this is the one that I use the most. =
It is called 'Woad, its history - how to grow it- how it works=20
- how to get colour out of it' (What more could you want...it even came =
with woad seeds!) By Nancy Cameron. Published by Atholl Browse. =
Fibrecrafts have it in stock.
NB Sodium Dithionite is the same thing as Sodium Hydrosulphite, or =
'Spectralite'.
Alakali used is washing soda. Ammonia is OK too or if you want to be =
really good, stale urine.

Pick first year leaves.
Tear them into small pieces. Put into a jar or pot.
Infuse them. Pour water, just below boiling point over the leaves, to =
cover them fully. Leave to soak for about 1 hour.
Use soft water.
Keep air out of the brew. (Fill container to overflowing and put on a =
lid)
Strain the liquid off the leaves, squeezing as much liquid out of them =
as possible. (Keep the leaves, they will give you pink with a boil dye)
The liquid should now be the colour of tea.
Put the liquid into a mixing bowl. (measurements are for 2 litres)
Dilute your alkali with a little warm water and add, 1 tablespoon at a =
time, stopping when the 'tea' turns to green sludge.
Whisk (with an electric beater if you can) until the foam on the top =
stops turning blue (maybe 10 mins)
Warm the liquid either on or beside the cooker. Raise the temperature to =
50 degrees celcius (120 degrees farenheit) Don't go above 125 or the =
blue will go. I use a jam thermometer.
Add sodium dithionite. Take container off the heat source and sprinkle =
with a heaped teaspoon off SD ( I use Dylon Run Remover)=20
Don't stir! Leave untouched for about 30 mins. When ready, the liquid =
will be yellowish.
Slip pre wetted yarn gently into the dyebath. Leave for a while 5,10 30 =
or more mins. Lift out smoothly, using the handle of a wooden spoon or =
stick. Don't let dye splash back into the dyepot
Air the yarn, preferably outside where it can drip. When it has stopped =
changing, wash in soft water containing a spoonful of salt.
Then wash in warm soapy water.
If you haven't dyed with woad before, this all sounds horribly =
complicated, but just take it one step at a time, and it really works!
Hazel
------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C2EB9D.2A0D4220

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have had a request for a modern woad =
recipe,=20
which I send below!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hazel</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have many dye method books, but this =
is the one=20
that I use the most. It is called 'Woad, its history - how to grow it- =
how it=20
works </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- how to get colour out of it' (What =
more could you=20
want...it even came with woad seeds!) By Nancy Cameron. Published by =
Atholl=20
Browse. Fibrecrafts have it in stock.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>NB Sodium Dithionite is the same thing =
as Sodium=20
Hydrosulphite, or 'Spectralite'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alakali used is washing soda. Ammonia =
is OK too or=20
if you want to be really good, stale urine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pick first year leaves.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tear them into small pieces. Put into a =
jar or=20
pot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Infuse them. Pour water, just below =
boiling point=20
over the leaves, to cover them fully. Leave to soak for about 1=20
hour.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Use soft water.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keep air out of the brew. (Fill =
container to=20
overflowing and put on a lid)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Strain the liquid off the leaves, =
squeezing as much=20
liquid out of them as possible. (Keep the leaves, they will give you =
pink with a=20
boil dye)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The liquid should now be the colour of=20
tea.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Put the liquid into a mixing bowl. =
(measurements=20
are for 2 litres)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dilute your alkali with a little warm =
water and=20
add, 1 tablespoon at a time, stopping when the 'tea' turns to green=20
sludge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Whisk (with an electric beater if you =
can) until=20
the foam on the top stops turning blue (maybe 10 mins)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Warm the liquid either on or beside the =
cooker.=20
Raise the temperature to 50 degrees celcius (120 degrees farenheit) =
Don't go=20
above 125 or the blue will go. I use a jam thermometer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Add sodium dithionite. Take container =
off the heat=20
source and sprinkle with a heaped teaspoon off SD ( I use Dylon Run =
Remover)=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Don't stir! Leave untouched for about =
30 mins. When=20
ready, the liquid will be yellowish.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Slip pre wetted yarn gently into the =
dyebath. Leave=20
for a while 5,10 30 or more mins. Lift out smoothly, using the handle of =
a=20
wooden spoon or stick. Don't let dye splash back into the =
dyepot</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Air the yarn, preferably outside where =
it can drip.=20
When it has stopped changing, wash in soft water containing a spoonful =
of=20
salt.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Then wash in warm soapy =
water.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you haven't dyed with woad before, =
this all=20
sounds horribly complicated, but just take it one step at a time, and it =
really=20
works!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hazel</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C2EB9D.2A0D4220--