[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Axe loops (further thoughts)

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:06:02 -0500

"Schuster, Robert L." wrote:

> My vote...we should do away with them.  No provenance, and most likely a
> reenactorism.  Our warfare is supposed to be a representation of the period.
> Thus, if they wouldn't have done it, we shouldn't do it (especially for the
> sake of our 20th century convenience).  And I think we should also do away
> with scrams held in a spear's back hand.
>
> --just to play devils advocate
>
> is there any provenance for the leather "axe sheath" Kim mentioned earlier?

The only leather axe sheath, and it is decorated, I know of comes
from Novgorod. I have the Russian Volumes but it also shows up in
Great Novgorod by an English speaking author with the same illustration.
Thompson I think.

I realize that Almgren's Viking is hideous for some things, but in it
Vikings were walking around with the axeheads resting over their
shoulders. Not advocating it as I tend to think it would be
terribly uncomfortable. We knows about trigger points - we does.
We is gonna have aother complete Spinal MRI in about ten days we is.

I'm in favor of axe covers myself. I've got thirty or so
axes, many on the bookcases, and damned near lost some fingers
to one falling flat-sided onto my hand two months ago.
Dumb luck prevailed. Of course as I write this I am sitting
four feet below another with a spike on the back of it.
Damocles predated Russian Roulette.

Magnus, professional medical guinea pig.