[Regia-NA] Making Fire

Yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:00:31 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01C2E94F.C3F00350

Dear Lori,

As my name has cropped up a number of times regarding tents - yes tents, =
the beastly subject, I'll try and fill in a blank regarding the red tent =
bit. I recall it as having been included as an item in Wynflaed's will  =
- I hope that's correct. All that is said is that she was bequeathing =
her red tent. That's all.

My personal Vike tent is red ochre now when it had been previously =
battered white cotton canvas. Jeanie Johnson has seen it in action at =
Gloucester. The reason for the choice of red is the will account and =
that the red ochre is a very cheap colour and paint to produce in =
volume. There are other good earth colours, and we are blessed by the =
fact that they can be still be found just north west of Bristol waiting =
to be dug from the earth.

We do suffer from a 'sea' of white canvas tents - but it will get better =
with time.

Anyway, onto starting fires.

This comes from a previous posting of mine.

What is needed is a method to trap and propagate the weak and =
'vulnerable
spark - and from there go to tinder to actually combust into a small =
fire.

The slice of Tinder Fungus just does the first bit - otherwise the =
valuable
and 'difficult to get' fungus it will be used up carelessly. As the =
fungus
is dense, it burns fairly slowly but incessantly. The actual tinder such =
as
Reed Mace head is less dense and has  a good source of air to get it =
going
and fed well with new gas as the heat increases. And with a little =
coaxing,
bingo, burnt hands. Hence I am very parsimonious with the fungus and
extinguish any spark on the fungus ASAP, as soon as the tinder proper is
going.

Punk I put into the latter department - charred linen, the former.

I'm quite handy even if I say so myself with a bow powered fire drill. =
Now
that one can be a real sod even in ideal conditions.

The real trick is to have a fairly new piece of flint - that is freshly =
broken from the core. Flint is hydroscopic and like the word says, sucks =
up water from the environment. However, I have flints that are 10 years =
old and they seem to behave even though they are stored outside in a =
shed. I would go for a flattish slice rather than a struck core section =
- as the abrupt edge is what you will need to strike sparks from.

The strike-a-light as has been mentioned needs to be made from old tool =
steel for its carbon content. Once forged, ( and not too large as you =
can't generate a spark from the steel otherwise ), it will need to be =
tempered etc. I get the whole thing bright orange and quench the =
striking edge momentarily, pause, then quench the rest as it begins to =
go dull red.

Then set about a piece of flint and see how well it creates sparks - =
hopefully alls well.

The fungus needs to be sliced thinly to around 1/4 and 1/8 thick - or =
4mm if you can. Then I beat it gently on the central area of the fungus =
with a hammer to soften it. It should now look like suede a bit.

Pull off a small piece and place it near the striking edge on the flint =
and start creating sparks with the strike-a-light. Once you get sparks ( =
hopefully you are sweeping the strike-a-light down across the edge of =
the flint ), they should be scattering both up and down from the strike =
point. Luck has a certain amount to do with this - but with a little =
skill a spark will hop up from the flint an nestle onto the fungus. The =
furry 'suede' effect will coax it instantly to singe and start a little =
fire. A little huff may be necessary to get it hot.

Now's the time to offer it up to your general tinder. Reed mace head is =
great ( sometimes incorrectly called bull rush ). When that is going =
i.e.; plenty of smoke then add something like dry grass of shavings from =
a plane or spoke shave. Real Bull Rush heads or tops from Norfolk Reed =
are very good too.

All this can be done in the palm of your hands, but if you feel a little =
uncomfortable, you can make a bone hearth from a halved cow femur as a =
tray for all the combustible stuff otherwise in your hands. You can use =
this to somewhat direct a lungfull of air to get it really going before =
emptying it into the rest of your fire. As the other contributors have =
already said, do get the rest of your sticks sorted beforehand - fuzzier =
the better.

I hope this lights your fire!=20
It had to be said. ;-)

Roll.