[Regia-NA] Getting Sparks or Not

mik lawson list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:21:28 +0000 (GMT)

--0-512906094-1047504088=:56186

We use hand made iron strike a lights but i'm informed that it's easy to make them out of old files with a forge?{having seen mine made in about 10 minutes in a temporarily built forge}
www.deepeeka.com & go to the online catalogue/accessories fig B,C,E,F are fairly good examples of strike a lights on the iron work picture.
Hope the pictures are of help?At least you would be able to show a smith a piccy.They must be of high carbon steel{very hard}
mik
 "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net> wrote:On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Ian Uzzell wrote:

> I am a bit late coming into this part of the discussion (I was having sparks
> put through my chest in hospital!) but as I start off the firelighting
> process three times per week for schoolchildren, I think I can claim to be
> quite competent in getting my sparks. Like Mik (I think he learn't it from
> me) I hold the flint with the charred linen on top of it. I have tried
> other ways but that works best for me. You need a good sharp edge on your
> flint, and (I have been told) black flint is best. I have only used black
> so I cannot know about the others from personal experience. I use the sharp
> edge of my strike-a-light on the flint to get the best sparks. It can
> happen on the first strike, but it can also take some time to get the spark
> to catch. Patience and practice is the key. Everything must be very dry,
> and as Mik says, preparation is essential, have everything to hand and ready
> for use.

What do you use for the 'strike-a-light'?

-- Brett
http://www.chapelperilous.net/

To kill & to kill again ; just to make sure!

--0-512906094-1047504088=:56186

<P>We use hand made iron strike a lights but i'm informed that it's easy to make them out of old files with a forge?{having seen mine made in about 10 minutes in a temporarily built forge}
<P><A href="http://www.deepeeka.com">www.deepeeka.com</A> &amp; go to the online catalogue/accessories fig B,C,E,F are fairly good examples of strike a lights on the iron work picture.
<P>Hope the pictures are of help?At least you would be able to show a smith a piccy.They must be of high carbon steel{very hard}
<P>mik