[Regia-NA] Getting Sparks or Not

Ian Uzzell list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:56:55 -0000

Hi Folks

I am a bit late coming into this part of the discussion (I was having sparks
put through my chest in hospital!) but as I start off the firelighting
process three times per week for schoolchildren, I think I can claim to be
quite competent in getting my sparks.  Like Mik (I think he learn't it from
me) I hold the flint with the charred linen on top of it.  I have tried
other ways but that works best for me.  You need a good sharp edge on your
flint, and (I have been told) black flint is best.  I have only used black
so I cannot know about the others from personal experience. I use the sharp
edge of my strike-a-light on the flint to get the best sparks.  It can
happen on the first strike, but it can also take some time to get the spark
to catch.  Patience and practice is the key. Everything must be very dry,
and as Mik says, preparation is essential, have everything to hand and ready
for use.

Ian Uzzell
Snorri