[Regia-NA] Re: Making Fire

mik lawson list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:00:28 +0000 (GMT)

--0-525771338-1047420028=:34403

As a precurser to Pimm hill,my suggestions to those of you going down the charred linen road {this is the one i know best having more access to linen} what i do is have a small piece of charred linen which i hold on top of my small piece of flint;the flint has a sharp edge on the side you wish to strike {mind fingers} & i strike the flint in a sweeping motion downwards causing many sparks & manical looks.IF,everything was held in place correctly you are now at risk of burning your fingers.The next step it to introduce a bigger piece of charred linen to give you a bit of time to get your fire started.

The wood,your fuel.

I can often be found at shows lurking around the wood turners feet gathering up shavings {hardwood is best} or you can use a sharp knife as a draw knife to shave some wood?

Next,cut some matchstick sized bits of wood & feather them or cut into them part way so the flame has something to catch on.

After those first 2 stages the wood needs to get progressivly larger.Preperation is the catch word when it comes to starting a fire,it saves on all the messing about if your fire goes out.Hardwood is best for fire & of course the wood has to be as dry as possible,not easy in the UK.

I once spent over 2 hours,a gallon of petrol & a lot of time trying to get several improbably large logs to burn at a show we did at Longlete safari park,i eventually gave up & went to bed after stacking the wood in a triangular stack.Just as i was drifting of to sleep there was a bright flare of light & all the logs finally burst into flame,aah well!

Regards,
Mik

 Mark Patchett <patchett@sybase.com> wrote:I would agree with the "practice lots" suggestion.

Having got interested in flint and steel fire lighting, Magnus and I ( from
Wynmerestow - Ontario, Canada ) sat down to try our hand at it on Sunday night.

I have a flint and steel kit that I bought a couple years ago at Pennsic, which
contained a small firesteel, chunk of flint, tin with charred linen or cotton,
and a bunch of "tow fibre" to use as tinder.

After a great deal of work (just getting a good spark to land where we wanted it
) we managed to catch a spark on the chared linen, so that it just glowed a
little, then wrapped the tow around it, and with some blowing got the tow to
begin smoldering, smoking a lot, and I would say, just about on fire.
We didn't really have things set up to fully start a fire ( since we were in my
kitchen, and it was about 10 degrees below freezing outside )
We did manage to char some birch bark, and paper, but didn't really get it to
flame up.
( does birch bark get used as fire starting material in the UK -- North american
birch has bark that can be separated into paper thin layers, and which burn
remarkably well. )

Looking forward to more practice, and discussing things more at Shrewsbury.

-Edward

PS: the kit I have originally came with "directions" which I have since
misplaced, but the part that surprised me most about the directions was the
explanation that what you're really trying to do is hold the steel, and use a
sharp corner of the flint to strike the steel, and thus chip off a piece of the
steel, thus causing the spark. Also, the steel I have is shaped into an oval
shape, with one side open, almost like a "C". Having tried it a few times now,
I would recommend not sticking your fingers into the inside of such a device,
since it brings your knuckles rather close to the edge you are striking, thus
making them too easy to hit with the flint and slice them up ;)

Hrolf Douglasson wrote:

> I also suggest you practise lots. I have actually started one fire this way
> , the fire had to be properly laid ..with sufficient air flow to allow it to
> get going and people to prevent the helpful addition of damp tinder when it
> was too small to deal with such stuff.
> Ensuring ALL the tinder is dry is as important as getting the spark:)
> vara

To kill & to kill again ; just to make sure!

---------------------------------

--0-525771338-1047420028=:34403

<P>As a precurser to Pimm hill,my suggestions to those of you going down the charred linen road {this is the one i know best having more access to linen} what i do is have a small piece of charred linen which i hold on top of my small piece of flint;the flint has a sharp edge on the side you wish to strike {mind fingers} &amp; i strike the flint in a sweeping motion downwards causing many sparks &amp; manical looks.IF,everything was held in place correctly you are now at risk of burning your fingers.The next step it to introduce a bigger piece of charred linen to give you a bit of time to get your fire started. </P>
<P>The wood,your fuel.</P>
<P>I can often be found at shows&nbsp;lurking around the wood turners feet gathering up shavings {hardwood is best} or you can use a sharp knife as a draw knife to shave&nbsp;some wood?</P>
<P>Next,cut some matchstick sized bits of wood &amp; feather them or cut into them part way so the flame has something to catch on.</P>
<P>After those first 2 stages the wood needs to get progressivly larger.Preperation is the catch word when it comes to starting a fire,it saves on all the messing about if your fire goes out.Hardwood is best for fire &amp; of course the wood has to be as dry as possible,not easy in the UK.</P>
<P>I once spent over 2 hours,a gallon of petrol &amp; a lot of time trying to get several improbably large logs to burn at a show we did at Longlete safari park,i eventually gave up &amp; went to bed after stacking the wood in a triangular stack.Just as i was drifting of to sleep there was a bright flare of light &amp; all the logs finally burst into flame,aah well!</P>
<P>Regards,
<P>Mik
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;