[Regia-NA] Making Fire

Douglas Sunlin list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:23:37 -0800

Hi Lori. I've had fits and starts toward this skill, no reportable success
as yet. Here's what I've learned thus far:
1. Technique is really important. Remember you're supposed to be chipping
away at the steel with the flint, not the other way around. The sparks are
supposed to be hot pieces of steel.
2. I made some charcloth, and it didn't catch, even when I placed it under a
grinding wheel with a big chunk of steel scattering sparks everywhere. Must
be the tinder.
3. A tinder used by black powder re-enactors is cat-tail (or reasonable
European equivalent). Pull the down off the plant and it is apparently quite
flammeable.

Good luck!

On manręden,
Osweald of Baldurstrand