[Regia-NA] Re: Viking naval warfare

Brett W. McCoy list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:25:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Cory W. Nielsen wrote:

> Hello again, Brett. After reviewing the pertinent section of The Viking A=
rt
> of War last night, it appears that the main work you should review for
> accounts of naval combat is the Heimskringla, by Snorri Sturlason (or
> Sturluson/Sturleson/Sturlson). It contains at least 10 such battles. Here=
's
> a brief list:

I found a lot of good stuff online for Heimskringla, including some stuff
Tom Sweeting sent me.

> c800 at Hafrsfjord, a battle involving Harald Fairhair
> 977, place not given, between Jarl Hakon and Ragnfrid
> 1000 at Svold, involving Olaf Trygvason
> c1009 at Sotholm, involving Olaf Haraldsson (St. Olaf)
> 1016 at Nessie, involving St. Olaf
> 1025 at Holy River (Helge-=E5 or Helga=E1), involving St. Olaf and Knut
> 1043 at Aarhus, involving King Magnus
> 1049 at Lass=F6, involving Harald Hardrada and King Sveinn
> 1052 at Nissa, involving Harald Hardrada
>
> That's a start. I'll let you sort out all the variations in spelling of t=
he
> various place- and personal names. :)

Awesome!  Thanks!

The Viking Art of War book seems to have mixed reviews... some folks seem
to have liked it, others didn't.

I was reading some information on *knarr* and *drekkar* construction.
Wonder how many years of unsuccesssful experiments they had before they
got a solid design worked out.  :-)

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
Play Rogue, visit exotic locations, meet strange creatures and kill them.