[Regia-NA] Re: Viking naval warfare

Cory W. Nielsen list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:14:20 -0700

Hi again, Brett. :)

I know I replied to your questions once already, but as luck would have it I
just finished reading "The Viking Art of War" by Paddy Griffith last night.
In the last chapter, the book outlines several (about a dozen?) examples of
naval combat in various sagas, and the author dedicates a few pages to the
"marine-style" ship-to-ship combat described in these sources. If you're
still interested in this subject, I would recommend this as a source. Just
keep in mind the author's own disclaimer (about piecing together a vision of
this kind of combat from the sagas) and the fact that some of his
conclusions are disputed by other historians.

Alternatively, I could send you a list of the battles (with names and dates)
in that list and you could research the sagas themselves. I would guess that
you could probably find out quite a bit on various internet sites. I'm at
work now, but if you're interested let me know and I can send you the list
tonight.

Cory