[Regia-NA] General Observations by Phil

Lori Rael Northon list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:48:46 -0800

Thanks Phil for these observations.  Some of them will be quite useful for
many of us.  I, for one, intend to add them to my growing file of
information to check out.  Regarding the term 'pastel' and woad and
difficulty obtaining dark colors - I would be very careful simply assuming
the medieval meaning of the word is the same as the modern meaning without
investigating its etymology completely.  I've been surprised on several
occasions when I thought I could just apply modern meanings to words that on
first glance looked to be the same.  In this case, my reference (Funk and
Wagnal Standard Dictionary Comprehensive International Edition) indicates
'pastel' (Middle French 1400's and Italian) means woad, either as a dye or a
plant and refers me to pastello - the diminutive form of pasta (Late Latin
200-600 AD) meaning an adhesive mixture.  Really very different than the
delicate, soft or grayish version of a color that our modern expectation
leads us toward. 8^)
Lori

> Message: 6
> From: "Phil" <phils@clara.net>
> To: <list-regia-na@lig.net>
> Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] My response to Colors, Getelds, Etc.
> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:37:51 -0000
>
> Please, lets keep our collective shirts on.
>
> A few general observations if I may:
>
> 1)    Nancy Foy Cameron, "Woad: Its history, how to grow it, how it works,
> how to get colour out of it" ISBN 0-9534014-3-X, and a very modest £4,
> states that in C12 Edinburgh the Merchant Guild specifically excluded
those
> "with dirty hands or blue nails." Clearly just after our period woad was
> being grown quite far North (although if memory serves, the climate was a
> degree or two warmer back then).
>
> 2)    She also states that there are some fabric samples from York,
C9-C11,