[Regia-NA] Crusades on Ch4

J. Kim Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:47:56 -0000

Who saw this programme tonight? Lord above, what were they thinking of?
Fighting skills apparently supplied by John Waller and costume - well, I
have not seen so much jubbley kit in one place since the Hastings
re-enactment in 2000.

It skates on the very cusp of my period of interest,so I'll leave others
more knowledgeable than I to crit it for content, but I did notice the old
rubbish about swords being dragged up yet again.

"The Crusaders only had iron swords and the Arabs had lightweight steel
weapons."  Where do they get this cr*p from?

With pattern welding being abandoned in the north as old fashioned and
unnecessary nearly three hundred years before and high quality steel being
manufactured in Hamwic in the 800's, the followers of that dangerous nutter
Richard the Lionheart were at least as well equipped as the Saracens.

Was anyone else surprised that the Saracens skill as horse archers was not
made more of?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Spring in the air?"