[Regia-NA] Fire starting

Yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:06:26 -0000

What is needed is a method to trap and propagate the weak and 'vunerable'
spark - and from there go to tinder to actually combust into a small fire.

The slice of Tinder Fungus just does the first bit - otherwise the valuable
and 'difficult to get' fungus it will be used up carelessly. As the fungus
is dense, it burns fairly slowly but incessantly. The actual tinder such as
Reed Mace head is less dense and has  a good source of air to get it going
and fed well with new gas as the heat increases. And with a little coaxing,
bingo, burnt hands. Hence I am very parsimonious with the fungus and
extinguish any spark on the fungus asap, as soon as the tinder proper is
going.

Punk I put into the latter department - charred linen, the former.

I'm quite handy even if I say so myself with a bow powered fire drill. Now
that one can be a real sod even in ideal conditions.

Roll.