[Regia-NA] Hardanger

J. Kim Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:50:54 -0000

For those who do not have a clue what we are talking about, a hole is cut in
white linen and the threads surrounding the hole drawn away from it.. These
threads - augmented by new ones where required - are sewn back into the
weave of the fabric to make a pierced decoration.

My Hazel's great aunt was a skilled exponent of drawn threadwork and was
still amazingly dextrous just before her death at the age of 96. She also
made kid gloves for a living.

She used to describe drawn threadwork as "tidy darning"!

We had - and still have - a gobsmacking example of her work as a wedding
present - she described it to me as "not bad" .................

And no, I've never heard of it in a Period context either, but lack of
evidence is not evidence of lack as we all wisely say to each other from
time to time. Wag your head now ................... ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Spring in the air?"
"Spring in the air yerself !"