[Regia-NA] Vikings/Byzantium

Pete James list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:48:30 +0100

Hi folks

For some reason lots of Viking re-enactors start looking at the =
Varangian
Guard and end up wondering about life in Byzantium. The site linked =
below
has been re-vamped and is a truly excellent place to look for =
information on
this subject and thoroughly recommended.

http://www.levantia.com.au/

Tim himself is an acknowledged expert on the subject of Byzantine dress =
and
armour and a real good guy. He also has some sage thoughts on different
approaches to historical re-creation, specifically the different =
approach
taken by the SCA vs re-enactors here:

http://www.levantia.com.au/theory/glasshouses.html

and the problems with re-enactment and re-enactors in general here:

http://www.levantia.com.au/theory/rescue.html

The prices for his guides are in Aussie Dollars (currently GBP 2.51:1, =
USD
1.51:1) so are good value for money. Anyone in the UK interested in =
ordering
one or more drop me an email privately and we might save some postage.

Pete - Gu=F0ro=F0 Of Colanhomm

"Literature stops in 1100. After that it's just books"
J.R.R. Tolkien