[Regia-NA] Cloth width (was Re: featherstitching)

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:11:58 -0400

Vara wrote:

>and the 30inches bit for width of cloth is practical

So it's a practical recommendation rather than a specification based on
historical precedent, then?

>I and other hand
>weavers find any wider d**m near impossible to do unless there are two of
>you at the loom.try it your arms don't reach:)

When I weave on my 4- or 8-harness floor-looms I don't enjoy working a warp
any wider than about 28", that's true.  (That's one reason I mostly
concentrate on weaving linens, which can still be useful textiles at narrow
widths.)

But I don't have any problem at all working wider widths on the
warp-weighted loom.  When you weave on a warp-weighted loom, you don't
fling a shuttle through the shed from one side to the other and catch it
all in one go the way you do on a floor loom.  For instance, if you go look
at the archival films on the Norsk Folkmuseum website of ladies weaving
blankets on the wwloom, you'll see they work their way across the loom bit
by bit rather than in one big fling.  (There are descriptions of women
performing this movement across the wwloom in ancient Greek textual sources
as well.)  Or two can easily work side-by-side, passing the weft from one
to another; this is the method I prefer, since it's more fun.

So the limitation of needing to catch the shuttle in your other hand
doesn't exist on the wwloom. It's the warp-weighted loom that likely would
have woven the clothing in this period, with the exception of Mediterranean
imports such as silk.  Accordingly, I don't think the specific technical
limitations imposed by the later introduction of the harness loom should be
part of the thought process for Regia period.

>and I have had this confirmed
>via the spinners and weavers guild over here. widths increased with the
>introduction of the flying shuttle

Cloth widths ballooned again (from the narrow widths of the early
one-person treadle loom) with the introduction of the broadloom by the 14th
century.  This loom was operated by two weavers sitting side by side, which
effectively doubles the span of weaving possible in one throw of the
shuttle:  each operator throws or catches only with his outside
hand.  Guild regulations specified a type of cloth approaching two meters
in width in this period, the eponymous "broadcloth" of medieval
records.  (This, of course, coexisted with other typical cloth types in the
vicinity of 18" in width as well as several other widths, which
demonstrates the point I made earlier about there not being one standard.)

The "flying shuttle," as I understand it, was a post-medieval
invention.  (This could be another vocabulary mismatch, of course.)

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html