[Regia-NA] sewing help

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:01:21 -0400

Vara wrote:

>No charlotte, no fancy tailoring yet

Curved armholes and shaped sleeve caps (what we would call "set-in sleeves"
on this side of the pond) are found in a number of early tunics, including
ones from 10th century Hedeby.

>material about 30inches wide at the time...wide enough for front and back.

I haven't seen any evidence that there was a standardized width for cloth
in the period.  I'm also not aware of any congruence among the very small
number of clothing finds from the period from which it is possible to
deduce loom width.  Instead, all the evidence points toward weaving to the
particular size required for a specific purpose or garment:  from 10cm or
so wide for legwrappers to nearly two meters for blankets.  This is true
even after the horizontal loom was firmly established as the dominant loom
type by about the 12th century and the guild system was formalized.

Accordingly, I think it's better not to get hung up on the concept of loom
width unless you're planning to weave your own garments.  ;>

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html