[Regia-NA] Yuletime bread recipes

Hrolf Douglasson list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:23:18 +0100

the secret is in the flour.can you get a whole grain or malted strong flour?
try mixing with english type ale instead of water
try adding cinnamon and ginger as well as dried fruits.
For later medeaval decorate with edible gold or silver.
The Viking 'good stuff' was with flour that had been passed through muslin
to get out he bits.
For christmas I add spices, including cloves, lots of butter and even eggs
into the mix.
yeast ,liquid, salt, and a touch of either sugar or honey. Don't use a sugar
replacment as it doesn't feed the yeast.
knead well..best done in a bad mood
and leave to rise before knocking back, reneading and leaving to rise a
second time before baking
vara
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellem, Andrew" <Andrew.Ellem@AirservicesAustralia.com>
To: <list-regia-na@lig.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 4:15 AM
Subject: [Regia-NA] Yuletime bread recipes

Hi All,

I've been asked to supply some bread for the yule feast this weekend.
Rather than going with some commercial home bake blends I'd like to try
some older recipes. Does anyone have any traditional yule or even some
viking/saxon recipes they wouldn't mind sharing?

I've tried the "barley bagels" with limited success... basically I've
ended up with some slightly doughy biscuits about 3 inches in diameter
and about half an inch thick... they taste nice but are a bit on the
small side for a dinner for 20.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew
Canberra, Australia.