[Regia-NA] Authenticity Regulations

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:02:21 +0000

Dear all in email land.

The subject of Authenticity regs has come up recently - so I thought I would
weigh in (having something of an interest in the topic....)  In fact I would
have responded earlier, bu my boss has got me doing remedial packing for
having demonstrated a flicker of initiative. /,-(

Please note - although the e-group is a wonderful forum for those who are on
it, most of the membership are not - so I have been resisting the temptation
to rattle on about Authenticicty regs here.  However, hopefully Kim will be
able to cut this around so that a version can appear in Chronicle which will
reach all the members.  Wether they read it or not is up to them.

On the Authenticity Regulations.

1) On consulatation.  We are a society of volunteers.  People do this hobby
because they enjoy it, and they want to feel that they have a say in what
goes on.  However, committees are poor things for making a decision.  Thus,
in formulating a new set of regulations, ideas must be put forward for
examination.  After consulation, I must make the decision as to what the
actual policy should be.  Previous experience seems to indicate that
_someone_ will feel left out, but I will do my best to talk to as many
people as possible.

2) On Mis-consultation.  The problem with this is that people will take
ideas put out to consultation and say "have you seen what 'they' are about
to do/ban/allow?  Well, the message is that there is no "they" - it's just
me.  If you don't like what you see, then let me know - it may never happen.
  However, it might, and you may have to learn to live with it.  It is not
possible to please everyone at once, and we all (myself included) must live
by the same rules.  What I will try to do is make the regulations as
transparent as possible.  You may not like the reason for a rule - but at
least you will know why it is in place.  Just to repeat, though, an idea is
not a rule.

3) What the regulations are about.  It is not the job of the regulations to
cover "What is and is not authentic".  The reason for this is quite simple -
it is impossible.  Part of the regs will deal with "what authenticity is",
and hopefully a framework for evidence and reconstruction will be set up so
that we can keep advancing our standards.  Other parts of the regs will deal
with the administration of authenticity - which probably sounds quite dull.
It is - until it goes wrong, when everyone gets confused, angry and upset.
It is in fact a vital part of communicating with the membership, and
recieving communication back. There will of course, be "simple" rules in
there, such as the blazingly obvious ("no half kit" and the like), and I
suspect that there may be "kit stereotypes" so that beginners have a simple
place to start.  However, the regulations are a framework upon which
authenticity can be grown.  The "real" work is in the handbook

4) The handbook.  We had one of these, years ago.  It's still pretty good,
but in the eleven years since it was last published we've learnt a lot more
and found out a lot more.  I can remember what we looked like then, and we
look a hell of a lot better now.  The handbook (when you see it) will not be
a vast tome, covering nearly everything under the sun between single covers,
but a series of books, covering individual topics.  Not only does this mean
that we can go to press on the finished bits without having to wait for
everything to be complete, but we can revise individual sections when we
find out new material.  Thus the hanbook becomes an orgainic thing, able to
change and grow.  When we stop getting better, we die.  Thus the handbook is
an adjunct to the regulations - I suspect that the urgency production of
sections of the handbook will depend on how often the regs say "refer to the
handbook for further information on this".  I am collecting a team of people
to help me with this, and other matters - and to whom thanks will be due for
this huge task.

5) The bottom line.  At the end of the day, all the rules and regulations
are there to help.  It is down to the Officer at the show (me, a deputy, my
successor) to say, on that day, what is right or wrong.  The regulations are
there to help us to improve - we should not be improving just to obey as set
of regulations.  It's up to all of us to get it right - as near as we can,
based on the facts.  Sometimes opinions will vary.  Sometimes, a choice will
have to be made.  It's the job of the AO to make that choice.

As Kim used to say: Onwards and upwards - and perhaps a little bit outwards
as well ;-)

Steve

Message context.

>From: "Kate Dudman" <brock.gwyddel@virgin.net>

>You wrote:
Please note that things such as this will eventually be collected into the
Authenticity regs.

brock.gwyddel@virgin.net writes:

>This is different some perceptions of the LHE regs which were issued
>as they stood and were not open to change or feedback.

That's funny.... I was the one wot did it - and I'm sure I remember
initiating nearly a year of debate, issuing draft regs, and changing some as
a result of feedback......  Not to mention the fact that they were written
down in response to popular demand to have something which did for the LHE
what the MAA regs do for the military - namely let everyone know what is
expected of them before they spend hard-earned cash on expensive and/or
embarrassing mistakes.

Aly

As the one who helped Aly formulate the LHE regs I agree with what she says
here.  When they were first written it was as a draft to bring before the
Witan  so that they could be debated properly.  But - like many things,
someone decided (in their mind) that they had been written as a fait
accompli and immediately started a hot debate on the e-group.  Many hours of
careful thought went into them before they were in a form that could be
presented to the Witan, and several people with an interest in the LHE were
also consulted.  The result was three things.  A one page article to let
prospective LHE people know what would be expected of them,  secondly the
full LHE regulations, and thirdly the Regia LHE e-group was set up
especially to debate these issues!.

As Aly said, they were written (I am wrong there, they were re-written as
there were a set of regulations still in force) for those members who wanted
to know what they needed and what was expected of an LHE member of the
Society.

As we said in the regulations, the LHE is the "Up-close face of Regia" . The
part the public view in detail and we wanted to make sure that what we
demonstrate, and what we look like is the best possible, and the most
authentic that we could produce.

There was actually only a small part of the regulations that caused any
controversy!

Ian Uzzell

Debate and consultation are both healthy and helpful when an officer is
trying to formulate a set of regulations. However,  there comes a time when
the talking must cease and the words be written.
     At the end of the day the officer in charge has the ultimate
responsibility and final say on all rules new and old. These officers are
elected by the membership to do a job, it is only logical that from time to
time a rule/way of thinking will come around that people will not agree
with. Remember policy is made with the interest of regia as a whole foremost
in the officers mind. It is not done to alienate a group of people (small or
large), it is done to improve the society.
    It is for this reason the Regia is the best at what it does. Where we
lead others follow,  it is not by accident that we have the best LHE around.
Neither is it an accident that our kit standards are far higher than any
other SSS.
    Should the authenticity officer decide to ban kit or introduce/encourage
a new way of wearing an item of kit, then so long as his evidence is sound
we can debate it till the cows come home, it will make no difference it will
become policy. And if it helps improve Regia then that is no bad thing. Or
the LHE co-ordinator bring out a rule some disagree with well that is life.
Take parliament, we don't all agree with government policy but we have to
accept it, and trust that those in power, will in general, have our best
interests at heart.

Cheers Pat