[Regia-NA] embroidery

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:44:42 +0000

>From: "J Hill" <welshladygwen@citlink.net>
>
>Needing sources for Anglo Saxon embroidery, 9th C.  Pictures would be
>lovely. <G>  Yrs, Ælfgifu
>
>Jennifer Hill
>Ælfgifu
>Wes ðu hal.

>From: "Hazel  Uzzell" <gythe@snrd.freeserve.co.uk>
>Hi Jill,
>No physical evidence! If you look at the Bayeaux Tapestry the designs seem
>to be set into arcades and circles.(on the robes of Will and other such
>dignitaries) This could, of course, not be embroidery at all, but a
>representation of Byzantine silk appliqued onto the cloth.
>Strangely enough, the Oseberg embroideries are set in circles, with animal
>figures in them, to me very reminiscent of the Trewhiddle style. They are
>said to be influenced by A.S art styles.

To add to what hazel wrote....

There is again more evidence of embroidery/decoration on tunics in AS MSS
(such as the "Goliath" picture, who also seems to use a cord/tie to close
his tunic), as well as various pictures of kings, etc.

These may be representations of byzantine woven silks.  However, the Llan
gors find seems to be a copy of a byzantine fabric done in an insular hand
(yes, hazel, it is single stitch embroiderd much like the later "English
work" style apparently) - all lions caught up in vine scrolls.  So it would
seem that byzantine patterns were in enough demand for there to be a
thriving "counterfeit" market.  Note that the method used in Llan gors is
very different to that used in the BT and the Cuthbert stole (so I am
informed - I only look at the pretty pictures!).  This would seem to
indicate two different schools of embroidery going on - although from the
low level of finds from this period this may be an oversimplification.

Llan gors was burnt down in 902 IIRC, so the embroidery is probably _just_
c9th. (Wether it is "english" or "welsh" is a matter of debate....)  The
Cuthbert stole is _just_ c10th (about 912 if memory serves - someone out
there will have the book on it!).  Do you want scans of these?  I might have
my "doing things" head on this weekend.....

Steve

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess