[Regia-NA] mustard plants

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:13:34 -0400

Vara wrote:

>I know I shouldn't but I get Cochaneal insects (whole) and grind them
>myself.
>Kermes now being a protected species from what I can find and the colours
>being very similar..

Okay, so you're using Dactylopius coccus Costa (New World cochineal), and
not Kermes vermilio Planchon (kermes), Porphyrophora polonica L. (Polish
cochineal), Porphyrophora hameli Brandt (Armenian cochineal), or Kerria
lacca Kerr (lac). As I understand the literature, cochineal colorants are
related to those of kermes, whereas the colorants in the porphyrophoras
(the medieval "greyne" dyes) are alike but yield different shades from
cochineal or kermes.

I get purplish-reds and fuchsias from cochineal over alum and tartar on
wool, and clearer reds over just alum on wool.  But on silk all I ever get
is old-rose:  very disappointing.  Sometimes I think I'm just destined to
be a wool dyer, not a silk dyer. ;>

Sure would like to get ahold of some real kermes, though!

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html