[Regia-NA] Circles and dots

Yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:38:33 +0100

The tool you've made is just about right. All I would add is that of the
two points you've made at the tip of the blade, one should be slightly
longer than the other. This will cut the dot bit and the other will cut
the ring. A good grip is essential otherwise it will mess your hands up.
Don't cut the ring bit too deep or the small bit of bone will sheer off
in the process.

Roll.

-----Original Message-----
From: list-regia-na-admin@lig.net [mailto:list-regia-na-admin@lig.net]
On Behalf Of Tracie Brown
Sent: 10 June 2003 01:39
To: list-regia-na@lig.net
Subject: [Regia-NA] Circles and dots

Looking through Halvgrimr's pages

http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/gamepieces/Vik_Art/
93.jpg

has inspired me to ask:  Does anyone know of a period
implement or method, conjecturally period implement or
method, or even a modern way to mass-produce these ubiquitous
circle-and-dot motifs? (Some other way than wood-burning, I
might add.) The best I've done is to file a screwdriver into
an inverted U, which works but is hell on my hands.

BTW, I have an interesting story regarding these.  I sent a
similar query to a specialty tool and bit company, hoping I
might find something modern to do the trick, and included a
different picture of some 11c dice.  The guy I corresponded
with didn't read my message carefully and thought that they
were of modern manufacture. He allowed as how they could only
be done with some sophisticated manufacturing process and
tools.  He was quite amazed and impressed when I pointed out
that they had been made 1000 years ago with hand tools.

-- Signy
://www.lig.net/mailman/listinfo/list-regia-na