[Regia-NA] WW Loom

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:06:00 -0400

There is a book specifically on the Warp Weighted Loom
by that title. It's in print. I have one myself.
Here's a bargain on an older edition:

Hoffman, Marta  The Warp-Weighted Loom: Studies in the History and
Technology of an Ancient Implement  New York: Textile Book Service,
1964. Good. 6 x 9". Ex-library copy. Originally a paperback, now rebound
in library hardcover with original paper cover bound in. Usual library
markings. A sound working copy. Bookseller Inventory #012683
Price: US$ 17.00 (Convert Currency)  Bookseller: Warren Art Books
Contact:  John Warren    Address:  22 N. Centre St.,
Merchantville, NJ, U.S.A., 08109
Homepage:  http://www.warrenartbooks.com
E-mail:  warren.art@verizon.net
Phone #:  856 663 3340    Fax #:  856 663 3340

There exists in the NCSU College of Textiles a thesis on
the remains of warp-weighted looms from various finds,
mostly in Britain if I recall. I went through it about
fifteen years ago. There were lots of bone weaving combs,
bone awls, sword beaters, and loom weights depicted in
it as they were found in multiple excavations of huts, etc.
I cannot recall the original author or title although
Warp Weighted Looms or vertical looms should have been
part of it. I don't know if it's been put on microfilm
or not. Ask.

http://www.library.ncsu.edu/ should take you to the library
page. Incidentally, there is an advanced search page that
connects the Triangle Research Library Network there that
searches the massive amount of books at NCSU, Duke U.,
Chapel Hill, and has additional links to the Library of
Congress and other institutions. Quite good.

By the way, your selection of bone needles will be mailed
tomorrow Charlotte. The other orders I got have been all
sent. I still have a good hundred or more partially done
holed blanks left. The little plastic box you sent was
broken in about ten pieces. The needles are in doubled
over cardboard cells going back. Far enough from the top
or bottom of the cardboard to hopefully avoid the cancellation
machine stamp. Just pull the cardboard apart. There is a
finished example and an odd one I thought might be worth
trying for naalbinding gratis for an experiment.

Magnus