[Regia-NA] paternosters

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:11:43 +0000

(Someone may have already answered this, but I haven't gotten through all my mail yet...)

I believe that the rosary was not brought to England until after the first Crusade.  Previously it had been a device used by monks in Eastern lands to track the number of prayers they had completed.

Bill

> From: "J Hill" <welshladygwen@citlink.net>
> Date: Wed 04/Jun/2003 05:36 GMT
> To: "Regia" <list-regia-na@lig.net>
> Subject: [Regia-NA] paternosters
>
> Does anyone have any solid references to paternosters in the 10th C?  & what they would look like?
> I have an idea ... beads in groups of 10, 50, or 150 strung on a cord.  The Rosary as we know it today coming later in the Middle Ages...
> More info welcome.  Aelfgifu
>
> Jennifer Hill
> Ælfgifu
> Wes ðu hal.

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.