[Regia-NA] Re: Colours and Classes

Hazel Uzzell list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:48:11 -0000

Hi Ana,
With ref. to protein consumption, I read (and I can't remember where) about
the Carolingian 'bean revolution'  It would seem that the humble bean saved
civilisation and paved the way for well fed, intelligent, energetic people!
(The author said that they were literally 'full of beans' ouch!)
Perhaps the cultivation of field beans in this country had the same effect?
How long, I wonder would it take people to realise that those growing and
eating beans were healthier than those not...and attribute that health to
the correct reason?
I owned a book once, which I foolishly lent to an ex friend who lent it on
to a friend, who promptly lost it. (and didn't even apologise).It was a well
researched 'diary' of a year in the life, month by month, of a woman living
in an early 12C village. (I loved the bit where the illiterate priest
couldn't remember how may Thursdays had been in that week!) One village got
its water from a fairly stagnant source and the next village along got
theirs from a spring. There were obviously health differences between the
two villages, but no one had realised why...
Anyway...back to the beans. It is an interesting theory. Anyone know any
more??
Hazel