[Regia-NA] food questions

Phil list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:11:59 -0000

Do you have the title of the McCarthy book to hand please Andy?

Cheers

Phil

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholson, Andrew" <andrew.nicholson@dumgal.gov.uk>
To: <list-regia-na@lig.net>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 1:10 PM
Subject: RE: [Regia-NA] food questions

No nothing is written down [yet!].

We know the shapes of the pottery [Ipswich ware, Stamford ware etc] and the
fabrics - Mike McCarthy's co-authored book on medieval pottery is very
useful, plus publications on specific sites.

Metalwork [griddles etc] comes from archaeological finds too.  An
Authenticity Officer or deputy, seeing something they're not sure about [we
are human, well mostly, after all] is quite likely to ask someone to
provenance an item they're using. Remember the rule - no provenance, no use.

Its the same to some extent with food. We know what they had [see Hazel's
bibliography] and what they used to cook with, and then try to marry the two
up. Recipes get published in Chronicle, or local newsletters such as
Bordweall.

Guğrum