[Regia-NA] CDs

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:28:06 -0500

Eileen Young wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was glad to find out through the message from Magnus that I was not the only person having trouble with the Comb CD.  I can't get the main index page to open without going in the "back door" and I can't get the PDF file to open.  I get the message "There was an error processing a page.  Operation or data is too complex."
>
> I have a similar problem with the Bead CD PDF file.  This time the message is "There was an error processing a page.  A font contains a bad CMap/encoding".

How recent are your updates to your PDF program. Adobe Acrobat reader is
free. I noticed an Acrobat symbol on the CD folder page myself. I don't
know if the whole program is there or not. While the reader is free
Adobe charges for the program to make a document, although there was,
but may not still be a tryout for this online I think.

Sandy, the other thing I think Dan needs is someone to better proofread
the English on the CD's. I once offered to proof read for him but unless
someone puts an * before the subject line I may not see the email for
a long time as backed up as I stay. Comes of writing or making
bibliograpic
notes, or taking notes from discussions.

I was an English/Journalism major for a few years in college, during
which time they forever killed my enthusiasm for it, and I switched to
Industrial Arts Education instead.

In my older age I find I make more mistakes now than then, especially as
I have short term memory problems and chronic microvascular hardening in
the brain. But I used to test 98% on spelling/vocabulary - that was long
before I assembled a huge amount of books in multiple languages - and
crammed too much furniture in my attic as per Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
I think bits are squeezing through the vents.

I still haven't looked at the Beads CDs I have. Everyone else seemed so
highly pleased with them I thought there weren't any problems with it.

> That's two out of two CDs from the Frojel group that don't work correctly.
> Does anyone know if these problems are being fixed?

Well, I would assume someone needs to tell him. I got into the CD
through
my G: Drive directory, and looked for the html document. From there I
looked
through the whole thing while I was writing the review post. The only
thing I didn't do was list all the other books and articles I have on
combs (well the ones on the computer at least). Some books or sets I
have
never dissected sufficiently yet.

I told him about the comb CD having a problem and blind copied him on my
review, without forewarding all the BCC'd addresses it also went to.

I was hoping that giving people a source (as well as a CD) for
materials would help stimulate interest in it. I really do have a number
of articles/books on combs and combmaking, but not all the ones Dan
lists
in the CD (frequently different ones though). He listed some I hadn't
seen
yet. In comparison for the value though the CD is still excellent. You
don't
generally see the tops of combs or the sides end on for example.
And a range from 7-15th centuries is pretty darned good.

Anyone care to attempt dissecting Biddle's Object and Economy in
Medieval
Winchester for useful bits to cite? Two HUGE BOOKS kind of like the Big
Dictionary sets you see in schools. I got a bargain on a pair. Everyone
else I've heard of having something from it has copies of copies of
copies
of parts generally. It's upwards of $400. I think mine were in the $150
range, supposedly damaged, but damned if I've ever seen anything wrong
with them.

I'm still working through the several books and dozen plus articles from
the last two weeks. At some point I mean to toss out a second
boneworking
article on sources. I'm still accumulating and taking notes of what I
have.

Have been going through bibliographical references in several books on
English and Irish Archaeology nights this week. Got in Norries Law,
Fife,
on the nature and dating of the silver hoard by James Graham-Campbell
yesterday. The new postperson is gradually earning my ire. It came in a
two foot long cardboard left sticking out the front of the mailbox.
Last week my $125+ articles package was crammed in the mailbox bending
them,
and numerous neighbors seem to be exchanging mail with us that don't
mind walking a block. One yurt book from Turkey seems not to have
completed the trip, but I was charged for it.

I'm really itching to attempt to finish the next two or three bone
spoons I have in mind.  With the fibromyalgia/chronic pain getting
worse last year from the carving it's problematic. It took six months
of inactivity for some of the worst symptoms to decrease, and some
have not. I may work at it by using a rotary tool for a change instead
of all hand work after roughing out. Dislike the idea, but it may be
necessary, in which event I am buying a second, reversible Foredom
shaft machine with a larger collet as well. So it blows the dust away
from me into a suction, meaning also structured carbide burrs as an
investment as they are the only things that work reversed usually
except for grinding bits/metalcutting and lapidary discs/tools.

However, the next thing I may write will be on carving a bone spoon
(at least a better -illustrated- article than the last one).  The
end result of course is a booklet or Compleat Anachronist on bonework
and probably also including a bit on antler work.
Since I believe in actually doing the stuff before I put opinion to
paper I'm about halfway to where I want to be on it. I've probably
got 3/4 my research and half the projects.

I have yet to finish the yurt draft III and bibliography and I have
in mind that a much better CA on Lighting is needed.

> Thanks,
> Eileen

Magnus