[Regia-NA] Symbols of Rank

Hrolf Douglasson list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 29 May 2002 23:19:16 +0100

I need no crown.....my clothes and my shopping basket are more than enough
to show my rank,
along with my slaves and ervamts of course!!
vara
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholson, Andrew" <andrew.nicholson@dumgal.gov.uk>
To: <list-regia-na@lig.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 1:08 PM
Subject: RE: [Regia-NA] Symbols of Rank

I'm not aware of a pictorial representation of anyone other than a known
royal wearing a crown - not even the overmighty eorls, but I'll check again
at home. Ducal coronets are a later medieval fashion. Not even our Atheling
wears a crown - so don't go giving him ideas!

Within Regia, one of the distinguishing items worn by higher ranking males
is the robe, as opposed to a tunic (or carring a baculus or mace - however,
the pesky Normans are known to indulge in all three even when they're only
Milites).

Having a personal banner-bearer, helm-bearer, cup-bearer and escorts are
also a good indication of status  :)  [and, indeed, h-b and c-b are
acknowledged positions of rank within our local group structure - along with
door-wardens and lepers). Likewise Ladies seen abroad with suitable
burden-laden stewards and porters can be presumed to bear significant rank.

Guğrum
(Jarl of Galweg - no coronet but loads of retainers)

This e-mail represents the personal views of the sender.
Dumfries and Galloway Council accepts no responsibility whatsoever for
its contents.