[Regia-NA] Symbols of Rank

Patchett list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 29 May 2002 07:28:40 -0400

Hello all,

I've got an SCA-centric question for everyone.

My husband and I hold some rank within the SCA, (we are a Viscount and
Viscountess of Ealdormere).  We are working on making authentic kit,
both for use in the SCA and Regia. We've finished a set of low/middle
class clothing for each of us, and are now working on more / higher
ranking clothing.  The problem arises in trying to continue to use the
regalia expected for our rank in the SCA, while being as authentic as
possible.

We've seen crowns for Edward and Harold in the Bayeux tapestry, but none
on William or any others.  Would dukes, earls, barons, etc. have worn
similar coronets, or other symbols of rank, other than well ornamented
clothing in rich colours?
If anyone could point us towards relevant research material,  I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Beth Patchett