[Regia-NA] Wedge tents

yolli yolli@lineone.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:18:31 +0100

I have to say Doug that I think they are expensive. We totted up the largest
version in the colour option, Viking style with the heaviest cloth and a
'sod cloth' - is that by the way a trim around the 'hem' of the tent?

That came at roughly £740.

Now for that I would expect a heavier cloth even though it would be cotton
canvas - something like 14oz cloth. The end planks should be at least carved
or fretted/profiled so they at least looked Viking. The timber should be ash
and the poles that make the rails should come as four inch square rails
minimum carved down to round shafts at the ends to locate through the end
planks. Perhaps a ground sheet should be thrown in as well for that price.

I need a tent myself and I can see that I'll have to make the frame and get
the canvas sewn up elsewhere. Although for genuine one-up-manship, I should
sew that by hand......Do I have the energy?????

Roll.

I had a look to see if Past Tents over here and a chap called Victor James
did Viking tents to get a comparative price. Well Past Tents don't regularly
do one and Victor James isn't on the web.

http://www.tentsmiths.com/page27.htm

Well having pootled around the web a bit, I found these. At least they have
carved heads but they don't include the poles???????!

http://www.qnet.fi/rus-project/the_voyages_in_1996-97.html

This last link mentions a Viking crews tents made of wool and proofed. Enjoy
as they say.