[Regia-NA] Back from another trip

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:19:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys,
I'm back from the UK again.  It was an interesting
trip, to say the least.  I haven't had a chance to read
all the news on incorporating, but I will try to catch
up this week.  A while ago, I seem to remember asking
for a volunteer to look into insurance, but had no
takers at the time.  Perhaps someone will step up to
the plate now?  Most venues I have heard about require
the groups to have liability insurance.

We might want to consider incoroporating in Delaware.
It is not expensive, and you can do it via the internet.

On my trip, I stopped briefly at the Rampton Castle
event (and yes, I couldn't resist asking the
archeologist from the council where the 'castle'
was...^_^).  The best part was meeting Ewart Oakeshott.
 He spoke for a bit on the history of swords, as well
as sharing some of his personal experieces.  He and his
wife were very friendly.  He brought 3 orginal swords,
spanning the period from the 5/6th century to the 13th
or so.  I was even able to get my copy of his
"Archeaology of Weapons" autographed.

I could only stay for a brief time at Rampton, because
I was do to head over to Edale and visit Robin Wood
where I and picked up a bunch of cups and bowls based
on finds from York and a bowl from 10th century
Ireland.  I also picked up some later medieval star
bowls and mazers, as well as a couple of his 'Mary
Rose" plates.

After heading back to London for a semi-business
engagement, I stoped over night with Paul Binns and
picked up a sword, a sharp "Ingelrii" marked blade with
a brazil nut pommel.  I like to think of it as a copy
of an Ingelrii forgery, rather than an actual Ingelrii
blade.  I have a couple of other sharps on order from
him as well, I hope they will arrive by the end of July.

I went to the National Museum in Edinbrugh, and found
that the "Orkney Hood" and the other things I
particularly wanted to see are in the Orkneys.  So that
was kind of annoying.  But there were lots of other
things to see, and on the whole it was a nice trip.

Thanks,
Tom