[Regia-NA] Incorporating?

Jack Garrett list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:25:18 -0700

I incorporated about five years ago to start a software/consulting
business - in California.  We went through an attorney and the process
wasn't too long or difficult, but it did cost about $2,000.  Of course,
this was a full Class C corporation.  We chose that form because it
provides the greatest protection for the officers, separating the
company from the individuals from a financial and liability
perspective.  I couldn't tell you how different that would be from
forming a non-profit corporation (ours is SUPPOSED to be for profit.)

We've just gone through incorporating in Delaware with another partner,
purportedly for Delaware's tax benefits.  To make a long story short,
I'll take California any day.  We got an $86,000 tax bill from Delaware
- this for a corporation that had just been formed and hadn't generated
a cent in revenue (and still hasn't).  Too many intermediaries, too long
to get things straightened out.  The other option was Nevada.  Again,
I'll take bureaucratic, occasionally business unfriendly California.  I
can DRIVE to Sacramento if I have to.

I agree that the self-help books are the best way to go.  Setting up a
non-profit shouldn't be too difficult, given the assumption that there
may not be a lot of money involved.  (Words to be eaten later, no
doubt.)  I've got our Articles of Incorporation, again, for a Class C
corporation, should that help.

Assuming that you want to do live steel combat, Osweald, insurance is a
near-necessity (personal, not well-informed opinion.)  But ... why don't
you make this a second step, since just forming the non-profit
corporation opens up some nice avenues of recognition and an aura of
professionalism when you need to get a hall or park?  Our friends from
the Empire and Chivalry and Steel would be a good information source,
since they have already researched and acquired insurance - in the US.

Hope that helps.  I can't volunteer to lead the effort, but I'll help as
much as I can.

Ottar/Jack