[Regia-NA] Vertuose boke of the distyllacyon

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:09:09 -0400

    > Guess What I (a friend) found at Duke!
>    The vertuose boke of the distyllacyon of all maner of
> waters of the herbs in this present volume expressed:
> with the fygures of stillatoryes to that noble worke....
> Master Iherom Bruynswyke.... 1450
> translated in 1510 to English
>    I also found a lot of their other titles on microform.

I found this little message from last January today from a
friend who frequently uses my library/odd stuff/tools for research.
She's the kind who gets elbow deep in actual research with
the real articles doing the actual stuff. I don't know if
she'll blow up or melt/corrode first. ;)

(I'm chronically very behind on my mail. Anyone needing to
reach me should put an * before the subject line. Sorry I
haven't had time to keep current on some of my lists guys.)

Since some of you guys are seriously into herbs and
medieval chemicals and my friend has had five months
to get at what she found....

http://www.lib.duke.edu/  Duke University.

If you can't borrow, you can at least get the citations to borrow
elsewhere.
I got turned down on a restricted use/locked stacks book myself.
And no, it wasn't XXX either. ;)  I may be able to get it with the new
fiscal year funding in July from somewhere else. It's old, and it's
rare.

Some pages I use:
Western European Studies at Duke Library:
http://www.lib.duke.edu/ias/europe.htm
Western European Studies Section at  UVA :
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/wess/
Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study:
http://www.byu.edu./sasslink/
Frankfurt University Bibliotek Magazine Stacks for Festschrift etc.
	http://www.phil.uni-erlangen.de/~p1ges/zfhm/zfhm_na.html
DUKE Perkins Library:  http://www.lib.duke.edu/online_catalog.html
Duke Archaeology Database:
http://www.lib.duke.edu/texis/searchdb/ejdb/search/results.html?mode=subj&subjname=Archaeology&format_ne=e

NCSU:  http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/
Not so much archaeological but lots of technical.

http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/web2/tramp2.exe/log_in?LOGIN=guest&SERVERS=1home&SETTING_KEY=Files&SCREEN=home.html

http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/web2/tramp2.exe/goto/A0ch9lmt.000?screen=multisearch.html&servers=TRLN
This particular little jewel is the Triangle Research Libraries Network
-
several of the largest libraries in the U.S.A. hooked up to others like
the Library of Congress. I warn you though, while you are taking notes
on your researches it may well disconect you from the page that got you
there.
You can search multiple libraries at once and the UNC libraries are
almost as good as Dukes in the archaeology departments.

NCSU CENTENNIAL : http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/centennial/
Burlington Textiles Library, Room 4411, College of Textiles. Contact
the library by phone (515-3043) or contact the staff directly.
The Textiles library is a new one for an old textile school in
very new quarters. NC State has three distinct different campuses
and about 17 libraries.

NCSU will be closed on Saturdays, as there is a serious budget crunch.
My poor little wife, the 35 year librarian/cataloger, got reduced in
force three years before her intended retirement.
The 27th is her last day. Little Person is a bit stressed right now.
Retirement before Social Security also kicks in will be a bit short.
The longest employed person at the library. Of course being at the
top of her paygrade got her tossed first along with 26 others.

Chapel Hill has 27 libraries in the middle of a crowded little town
with no parking and in which in two hours you can get two parking
tickets and towed to the extent of $200.  I guess the influx of
yankees eroded that traditional Southern Tarheel hospitality.

I think Duke has about five on two distinctly different campuses.

Magnus