[Regia-NA] getelds and Viking Tents

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:55:41 EDT

--part1_39.28558ec9.2a36f8ed_boundary

In a message dated 6/5/2002 6:49:33 PM GMT Daylight Time, tgs@idlh.net writes:

> .  I have seen several getelds in the UK that
> have frameworks inside like Viking tents, but most do
> not seem to

Pure ridge tent versions look the same as inside-framed ones, but the
woodwork is easier to transport.  As I understand all our evidence for these
is illustrative, there are no hard and fast rules on support construction.
However, I have one of the few framed Getelds, and I wouldn't swap - It can
be picked up and moved to a better position, it looks right, it's timbers are
lighter weight than a Viking tent, and as it is also pegged all round it goes
nowhere in a storm!

PS At Fritton last week, Roland took several pictures of its construction, so
no doubt they will be available soon.

Aly

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." (Hector
Berlioz)

Vivat Regia Anglorum - the best in the field

--part1_39.28558ec9.2a36f8ed_boundary