[Regia-NA] joining Regia and trip to UK

Karen Dickinson list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:37:24 -0700

Greetings to Normans, Saxons, Vikings, et al:
    I introduced myself a few months ago (the writer doing a book on Harold
Godwinson's adventures) and have been happily lurking ever since. I've been
meaning to join, but posses this personal problem with procrastination. (and
alliteration, it would seem) Now however, I'm suddenly motivated by the
prospect of a trip to the UK this summer. I guess I'm addressing myself to
Tom Sweeting, but really, anyone can feel free to jump in. My
issues/questions are:
1. Tom, could you please re-send the application form? In the time it took
me to get my (truly awful) passport photos, I misplaced the ones you already
sent.  Anyhow, you can just e-mail them to dickinson@nwi.net . Please don't
send them here as this computer doesn't have a printer nearby. Thanks.
2. Any suggestions on which event to attend? My goal is to "live the times"
as much as possible. It seems to me there was a large event in early August
in southern Scotland. Would that be best?
3. Any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated. I've done a lot
of 3rd world travel, sleeping in the dirt, etc., and so don't need that sort
of info. What I need to know is how to go about blending in and becoming a
part of things at Regia without becoming a pain in the rear. Should I
develop some simple persona (Welch kitchen slave?) and get a kit together?
I'll bet this all becomes more clear after joining and getting the handbook,
doesn't it?
4. Aside from attending a major event, does anyone have other suggestions on
what to do or see relevant to researching this book?

Cheers,
Karen Dickinson