[Regia-NA] getelds and Viking Tents

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:48:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
> Actually, I do have a question about having the
canvas on the outside.

> If you put the diagonal end-poles inside the tent,
> do you then not have the classic
crossed-poles-skyward look?
You mean do the upright poles stick out the top?  Sure,
why not?  When I looked at Ian's (and others) there
doesn't seem to be any gap around them.  But then, I
would also suggest there is no requirement that the
poles stick out the top.

BTW, instead of enlarging the canvas why can't you just
shorten/trim the wooden bits?

For some reason (which escapes me at the moment) I
interpret the pictures of getelds as indicating two
vertical poles and a ridge pole, more like a boy scout
type tent, contrary to the trapezoidal box of viking
type tents.  I have seen several getelds in the UK that
have frameworks inside like Viking tents, but most do
not seem to.  BTW, the ridge poles do stick out
horizontally, past the canvas on the getelds.

Take Care,
Tom