[Regia-NA] getelds

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 20:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again,
Here I go 'talking' to myself again...

> Now, I've done a bit of research on Anglo-Saxon tents
> (also called Getelds...pronounced yeteld or something
> like that in case you're curious).
Actually, if you're not speaking ON I think it would
more likely be phonetically spelled "ueteld".  When you
have a "G" (or is it a "Ge"?) at the beginning of a
word in OE, it's pronounced more like a "U".  Now that
I'm thinking about it, doesn't something funny happen
to the pronounciation of the "ld" at the end of the
word?

What do you say Martin?  (or any of you other OE people
out there?)

To further muddy the water, one of the more curious
things I learned from the AS seminar I went to in March
is that it would appear most of the examples of Runes
from Anglo Saxon England show up in contexts where the
author seems to also know Latin.  Contrary to the idea
that Runes were being used by the uneducated masses
they appear to be used by the intelligentia.

Also it seems that some people have deduced that the AS
flavor of Latin had some borrowed words from Hebrew
that do not show up in continental forms of Latin.  Now
isn't that interesting?

Ok, it's nearly midnight and I get to go home now.

Take Care,
Tom