[Regia-NA] sword thickness

Martin Field list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:42:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C237BE.23152F20

Good point regards the armies meeting for combat.
I think there was a recent article in Withowinde that mentioned there =
was evidence that the two combatents would spend a dispproportional time =
persueing and eluding.
It just was'nt in the long term interest to always fight and run the =
risk of losing with the resultant consequences.
Martin F.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MIKE LAWSON=20
  To: list-regia-na@lig.net=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 11:33 AM
  Subject: [Regia-NA] sword thickness

  Out of curiosity what are the thickness of sword blades of our =
period?Thinest & thickest mesurements?
  When we talk to the public we generally say things like "The sword =
weighs the same as an original but it's blunt for fighting".Just how =
true is that,i usually ask for a blade to be made around 5mm thick =
without knowing how thick the blades of the original actually were?
  I'm not bothered how flexible a blade is as long as it's strong enough =
& safe enough for combat use but i do want my {expensive! } equipment to =
be as acurate as possible to avoid any future problems with =
authenticity.A blunt blade will always be heavier than a sharp of the =
same dimensions by the nature of the extra metal needed to stop it =
having a sharp edge but i don't want it any heavier than it has to be!
  Thanks to the Wirral for a good show,very relaxing. Whilst there i got =
involved in a conversation where i put forward an argument that Regia is =
doing the battles all wrong in some cases {oh no!I hear?}.When it comes =
to our battles we always portray 2 armies meeting,men in mail,the clash =
of steel on steel but how acurate would that be?I believe that the =
Viking raiders attacked unannouced or with very little warning , giving =
the local lord very little chance to organise any form of defense.The =
lord may have a couple of well armed retainers{?}but by & large the main =
defense must have come from the local population who would have been =
farmers.If the farmers run away they live to fight another day,they also =
have somewhere safe to run unlike there Viking counter parts who are =
there to fight by choice & are generally well armed & armoured & well =
motivated.I believe that this means we ought to do more battles with =
unarmoured Saxon farmers armed with spear & shield & the occasional axe =
& a couple of blokes in armour versus a load of Viking raider {fewer in =
number than the Saxons?} who are much better armed & armoured.
  We all know this aint gonna happen,"i didn't travel 300 miles to be a =
peasent farmer,i'm off to a society that will let me use my fancy kit" =
would be flying around in 2 shakes of a spear & we would loose members =
very quickly.So i put these ideas forward to stir up a debate?
  Feedback would be intresting?
  Mike

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C237BE.23152F20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good point regards the armies meeting =
for=20
combat.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think there was a recent article=20
in&nbsp;Withowinde that mentioned there was evidence that the two =
combatents=20
would spend a dispproportional time persueing and eluding.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It just was'nt in the long term =
interest to always=20
fight and run the risk of losing with the resultant =
consequences.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Martin F.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dolafleifson@hotmail.com =
href=3D"mailto:olafleifson@hotmail.com">MIKE=20
  LAWSON</A> </DIV>
title=3Dlist-regia-na@lig.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:list-regia-na@lig.net">list-regia-na@lig.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 30, 2002 =
11:33=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Regia-NA] sword =
thickness</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>Out of curiosity what are the thickness of sword blades of our=20
  period?Thinest &amp; thickest mesurements?</DIV>
  <DIV>When we talk to the public we generally say things like "The =
sword weighs=20
  the same as an original but it's blunt for fighting".Just how true is =
that,i=20
  usually ask for a blade to be made around 5mm thick without knowing =
how thick=20
  the blades of the original actually were?</DIV>
  <DIV>I'm not bothered how flexible a blade is as long as it's strong =
enough=20
  &amp; safe enough for combat use but i do want my {expensive! } =
equipment to=20
  be as acurate as possible to avoid any future problems with =
authenticity.A=20
  blunt blade will always be heavier than a sharp of the same dimensions =
by the=20
  nature of the extra metal needed to stop it having a sharp edge but i =
don't=20
  want it any heavier than it has to be!</DIV>
  <DIV>Thanks to the Wirral for a good show,very relaxing. Whilst there =
i got=20
  involved in a conversation where i put forward an argument that Regia =
is doing=20
  the battles all wrong in some cases {oh no!I hear?}.When it comes to =
our=20
  battles we always portray 2 armies meeting,men in mail,the clash of =
steel on=20
  steel but how acurate would that be?I believe that the Viking raiders =
attacked=20
  unannouced or with very little warning , giving the local lord very =
little=20
  chance to organise any form of defense.The lord may have a couple of =
well=20
  armed retainers{?}but by &amp; large the main defense must have come =
from the=20
  local population who would have been farmers.If the farmers run away =
they live=20
  to fight another day,they also have somewhere safe to run unlike there =
Viking=20
  counter parts who are there to fight by choice &amp; are generally =
well armed=20
  &amp; armoured &amp; well motivated.I believe that this means we ought =
to do=20
  more battles with unarmoured Saxon farmers armed with spear &amp; =
shield &amp;=20
  the occasional axe &amp; a couple of blokes in armour versus a load of =
Viking=20
  raider {fewer in number than the Saxons?} who are much better armed =
&amp;=20
  armoured.</DIV>
  <DIV>We all know this aint gonna happen,"i didn't travel 300 miles to =
be a=20
  peasent farmer,i'm off to a society that will let me use my fancy kit" =
would=20
  be flying around in 2 shakes of a spear &amp; we would loose members =
very=20
  quickly.So i put these ideas forward to stir up a debate?</DIV>
  <DIV>Feedback would be intresting?</DIV>
  <DIV>Mike</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>
  MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: <A=20
  href=3D"http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUK/c156??PI=3D44363">Click=20
list-regia-na=20
  mailing list list-regia-na@lig.net=20
  =