[Regia-NA] The Longhall

J. K. Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:00:11 +0100

Hi all,

Firstly, very sincere thanks to everyone who worked so hard to bring our
project forward by such a huge amount in just two days. It might be the tip
of the iceberg, with weeks of tedious measuring and sawing, chiseling away
at joint and mortice pockets, trial fitting them just to make sure they DO
fit! But when the half ton baulks of oak swing up into the air and fit where
they are supposed to with a satisfying need to lightly drive them home with
28lb sledgehammers, it makes it all worthwhile. And as an indicator of the
level of co-operation and committment in a widely scattered group of amatuer
enthusiasts, one would need to search hard indeed to find its parallel in
any field of endevour.

It is such a pleasure to work with you all and a moving and awe-inspiring
experience just to stand in the great space that we are enclosing, knowing
that - save for positive act of God or man - what we build now will outlive
not just us, but the children of the kids that play in the nascent guard
house and run around the rampart.

If I needed any such comfort, here indeed is the embodyment of all my hopes
and expectations of the very best in re-enactment.

The first few photos are up on

http://community.webshots.com/user/kimsiddorn

as usual, but it's late and I'm not doing anymore until Tuesday.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

"When men die, their Maker may reward them for their efforts by allowing
them to live again as male dogs. Thus freed from inhibition, they can spend
a cheerful existence doing all those things they really wanted to do when
they were men."

Paneb, Foreman mason in  the Valley of the Kings, circa 1190BC