[Regia-NA] Roman Gardens and their Plants Book / Inked tablets and Waxed Tablets

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:28:51 -0400

I hadn't realized when I bought this this month for the wife who loves
gardens that it was not for sale over here in the States. She likes
it immensely. There are short colour illustrations and descriptions
of many of the plants listed in it. Since you might not hear
of it elsewise here is the information:

Since gobs of you strange people are gardeners and cooks I thought
it might be of interest to you, as likely the Romans took
many of these same plants with them to their provinces.

Ryley, Claire: Roman Gardens and their Plants; 1998, Sussex
Archaeological Society; 56pp., 62 colour illustrations,
240mm x 170mm, ISBN 0904973166 (pb).
"Here is a new and exciting look at Roman gardens and their plants.
Claire Ryley has painted the broad picture of what is known of
Roman Horticulture in the Western Empire. Not only does she expound
the principles that were followed by the Romans in designing their
gardens for produce and pleasure, but she also describes more
than 100 of the plants they are known to have cultivated. Further,
the book includes a list of around 300 plants used in Roman gardens."
£4.95 (with postage about $10. from http://www.vindolanda.com/)
or £8.99 plus postage from http://www.amazon.co.uk/ special ordered.

Searching Bookfinder.com which does most English speaking booksearch
engines turned up nothing and then I tried amazon.co.uk to find
out it was a special order only from the Sussex Archaeological folks.
I was entering it into my books lists and needed some additional
information since I quote books on various subjects and hate incomplete